Wish I'd Said It

Weeds are flowers too - once you get to know them.

- A. A. Milne

Friday, July 30, 2010

Writerly Stuff (#226)

I've been a note-jotter most of my life. Partly because I've always been what my teachers kindly called, "scattered." Partly because that's what writers do. They get ideas, usually in a non-writing venue like a crowded bus or at the ball game. So, they grab a pen and paper and jot down a note, fully intending at some future time to expound upon it in a writerly and entertaining fashion.

Naturally, this rarely happens. Especially if one is a writer of the scattered variety. We usually either forget the note entirely, or lose the paper it was written on. Often both. Which, if you're not only scattered but also kind of lazy, is a pretty good deal. Those lost bits of paper saved me from writing quite a few words over the years.

Anyway, in this newfangled day and age they have virtual sticky notes that you keep on your computer. I was pretty excited when I found out about them. Imagine - a sticky note that doesn't ever peel off the thing you stick it on! Why, a scattered person of the writerly persuasion could write all sorts of notes and never lose them! (As long as his computer doesn't fritz out, of course.)

So, for the last several months I've been jotting down ideas, figuring to turn them into columns/posts somewhere down the road. But darned if I'm not having a busy summer, with hardly two consecutive days spent at home. I haven't had time to expound, entertainingly or not.

What to do? Then, as if having accumulated five or six ideas already this summer wasn't enough, I was gifted with one more: Just do a blog/column about the bare-boned ideas! That way, the ideas themselves would be saved for posterity on the Interweb and I could expound upon them later.

Or not. We'll see.

Here are the ideas:

1- The best test of character is adversity.
2- Facebook memorials: virtual bouquets and teddy bears.
3- "Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer Simpson
4- The path taken doesn't matter, if you arrive at the truth.
5- "Just be yourself - in a whole new way!" - Marge Simpson
6- Celery: God's revenge.

21 comments:

Hilary said...

So now that you've posted them somewhere in addition to your sticky notes, you're going to start thinking you've blogged about them already because somewhere in your scattered brain, you'll remember typing something about them. I know you. ;) But I hope you'll prove me wrong - at least with a few of them.

Travis Erwin said...

Coming from a man with a personal motto of "Lettuce is the Devil" number six has me eager to hear more.

Chicago Mary said...

Watchin' the Simpson's this summer, Frank?

Chicago Mary said...

Oops, my brain wasn't engaged. I meant to type "Simpsons" not Simpson's! See what happens when Chicago Mary tries to be funny. NOT!

Tabor said...

It is nice to read that even real writers have that dyslexic thing going on notes to expound upon someday and then totally not understanding what in the heck I wanted to expound upon!

Frank Baron said...

Dang, Hil. You're thinking like me. We should probably both be very afraid. ;)

Travis, I can handle a little lettuce, especially if it's surrounded by bacon, tomato and mayo. But nothing disguises celery. Thanks for the visit.

Mary, wee awl mayk misteaks. ;)

I hear you, Tabor. Which is darn lucky because I can't read your scribbled little note... ;)

Charlie said...

I too am curious about the celery. Do expound, deah boy.

MagnoliaGirl said...

Ahhh Frank, if I had a nickel for every great idea....

I like 'em all and implore you to keep on jotting til you run out of ink!

Sorry for such a long silent treatment. Mama's been keeping me hoppin' and many days I can hardly put together an entire sente...

Be well, my friend!

Stace said...

What's wrong with celery? :(

Skunkfeathers said...

While liking #3, 4 and 6 philosophically (sorta), I do like celery dipped in ranch dressing ;)

Pauline said...

1. Unless it knocks you out, then it's a test of how far up you can climb.

2. A virtually endless subject.

3. Did you know Homer and Charlie Brown are related?

4. "The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear."
(Herbert Agar)

5. Did you know Marge Simpson and Yogi Berra were related?

6. Anchovies: the Devil's revenge.

Grayquill said...

I usually find those missing notes, like most everything I lose under the seat of my truck. Hmmmm....maybe that is a new post, "Thinks under my butt" What do you think?
BTW- I got a great b-day present this year. A great book called, What Fish Don't Want You to Know. It is pretty darn good. The author actually seem to know quit a bit on the subject and the fella writes about as good as you do. You oughta' read it. Who knows maybe your days on the water will improve.
I actually learned a few things.
Good Job! and Thanks!

Reb said...

I tried doing that when I started blogging (not that I am a writer), but then I just got lost and started winging it. What is with #2 anyway?

Frank Baron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frank Baron said...

One of these days, Charlie. One of these days.... ;)

MG, just when I'm beginning to worry about ever hearing from you - there ye be. ;) I'm glad you're staying in touch. And I trust you know I wish the best for you and your Mama. :)

Sorry, Stace - don't have the time right now. ;)

Skunkfeathers, disguising it in some way is the only way to make it nearly edible. Ish...in a way...kinda.....

Cleverly done, Pauline. :)
1- Or how quickly you can awaken.
2- Probably. Especially with today's cult of celebrity.
3- It would not surprise me.
4- That's true of both genders. (All genders?)
5- It would not surprise me.
6- You may be right. But every once in a while, they sure do add some pizzazz to a pizza. :)

GQ, thank you. I didn't write the book to become famous. (Good job there.) Or to get rich. (Ditto.) I honestly wrote it in the hope that some folks would get where I was coming from, enjoy the visit, and maybe, just maybe, learn a tip or two that would help them catch a fish. If there's any aspect of the book you'd like to discuss further, please feel free to email me at frank(at)frankbaron.com. (You know what to do with that "at.") Thanks for the kind words. :)

Reb, winging it seems to be working for you. Stick with it. As to that #2 - I'm really not sure. But it's an inexpensive way to show you might care about something.

(Edited by moi because I maid a typoo. Typo. Mistake. You no....)

Stace said...

I like celery. It's all green and crunchy and helps you lose weight. :)

Ray Veen said...

Your notes are very 'food-for-thought'-ey. Mine are like, "Guy falls through black hole and finds wand that turns him into Tesla's clone."

They're never that inspiring when I go back to look at them -- not even the ones that make sense.

MagnoliaGirl said...

Yo Frank, I even blogged lately!

Frank Baron said...

Stace, as I recall, you also like Vegemite.

I rest my case. ;)

Ray, you're being modest. I admire that in a soon-to-be-at-least-semi-famous novelist. :)

MG, I'll be along to check it out. :)

Thumbelina said...

Yo Frank! I didn't blog lately. Well, except the "so long and thanks for all the fish" kinda one. And that wasn't lately. So I didn't blog lately.
Did I say that already?
I'm writing more here than I blog.

I still visit. I still love your writing. And I'm gonna buy your book I reckon. I'll search Amazon.

Frank Baron said...

Thumbelina, you are as intelligent, creative and beautiful as you are wise about book selections.

;)

If you decide to get a copy, email me your snail mail addy and I'll be happy to send you a signed bookplate.

Thanks. You're a peach. :)