Wish I'd Said It

Weeds are flowers too - once you get to know them.

- A. A. Milne

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Emma Faust Tillman

Emma, of East Hartford, Connecticut, was an amazing woman.

For four days, she was the oldest known living person. She inherited the crown last Wednesday when 115-year-old Emiliano Mercado del Toro of Puerto Rico died. Emma, at 114, died on Sunday.

But that's not the most amazing part of her story.

Emma had two siblings who lived until they were 102.

But that's not the most amazing part of her story either.

Another of Emma's sisters lived to 105.

Wait. There's more.

One of Emma's brothers hung around the planet until he was 108.

I sure hope someone had the foresight to sneak a bit of Emma's DNA for research purposes.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I'd loved to know how they lived and what they thought was the reason for their longevity.

More and more people are living longer. My neighbor turned 101 in January. ;)

Frank Baron said...

Congrats to your neighbour. One of my great-grandmas, Little Baba, made it to 99 1/2.

I was pretty bummed when she passed on.

I had 101 in the pool.



I'm probably kidding. ;)

ohdawno said...

Ever notice how so many Centenarians (or whatever they're called) tell you stuff like "I drank a fifth of vodka and ate raw onions by the peck every day, that's the secret to my longevity"

As I sneak up on 50 (or as it comes steamrolling at me) I often wonder if I should have eaten more onions. I know I need to smoke fewer cigarettes.

Have you read the latest about how Tumeric could be the big breakthrough anti-cancer ingredient? (a curry a day keeps the mortician away!)

Frank Baron said...

Wouldn't surprise me Dawno. Also wouldn't surprise me if, in 3 years, they decide tumeric causes cancer of the Achilles tendon.

One day there's a new bogeyman and the next, a new saviour.

Life's weird, but darned interesting. :)