Wish I'd Said It

Weeds are flowers too - once you get to know them.

- A. A. Milne

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Happy Birthday To Me!

Well, since my friend Dawno saw fit to out me, so to speak, I might as well post about it.

I am not going to tell you exactly how old I am. Let's just say that I officially tippy-toed past the half-way mark of my allotted five score plus ten. Yep, I'm four and half dozen years old.

Wait. Four and two-thirds.

Hmm ... apparently - unlike good looks, sexual prowess and athletic ability - math skills don't improve with age.

There's kind of a story associated with this birthday that I'll probably share down the road a bit. I don't mean to tease. I just mean to whet your appetite with a tad of titillation.

Speaking of mammary glands (writers are SO good at seg-weighing) I find myself thinking of my mother today. (Yes, I was breastfed.) We can't really celebrate a birthday without celebrating the woman who made it possible can we?

Mom died 13 years ago, in a car accident, the same day Jackie Kennedy Onassis died. I wrote a letter to the editor of the Toronto Sun commenting on the two women's similarities but contrasting the coverage of their deaths. (Mom got a couple of paragraphs - you know what Jackie got.) They featured it as their letter of the day. Dad got several copies laminated. I think, at least until my book came out, he was proudest of that little piece.

She would have been the first to call me today. She would have said she was awake at 6:10 a.m. - the time of my birth. I would have said something like, "yeah, right - you celebrated the anniversary by snoring through it." We both would have chuckled.

I have much to celebrate. I'm healthy. I have friends and family who love me.

Thanks Mom.

PS- Nearly forgot. It's also been one (1) year since I quit smoking. Thanks to those who encouraged me.

Now I just have to start chasing some frisky women to rid myself of a couple (dozen) extra pounds.

Ain't life grand?

21 comments:

Anne C. Watkins said...

Happy birthday, Frank! I hope it's stupendous! :)

Travis Erwin said...

Happy Birthday. When you find those frisky women send a few my way. I ahve been trying to shed a few myself.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday:) and many more to come, smoking is a vile habit, well done on kicking it.

Or you could chase the slower moving ones and burn the energy after you catch them:)

Crabby McSlacker said...

Birthday greetings again, but also congrats on the one year of quitting smoking!

Your mom woulda been proud, I'll bet.

This was a sweet post. (But I also liked the frisky-women-chasing at the end. A great recommendation for some of my health & fitness readers bored with their regular routines--I may steal it).

Frank Baron said...

Thanks Anne. :)

Thanks Travis. Actually, if I find two to chase, that'll be one too many. I'll shoo the extra one over towards you. ;)

Thanks Aidan. I like the way you think. You sure you're an Oddsie? ;)

Thanks Crabby. It's yours if you want it. :)

Othmar Vohringer said...

Happy Birthday (again) Frank. My birthday was sometime earlier this month and like you it is for me also a celebration of my mother but also of my father.

-Othmar Vohringer-

Frank Baron said...

Thanks Othmar. And I hope your birthday was a great one.

Moby Dick said...

54? You look like you are in your thirties. I quit smoking for the second time around 5-6 years ago. I still feel the cravings sometime, but I have not smoked. It is a matter of pride now. Congrats to you on completing your first year!

Bernita said...

"May the candles on your cake,
Burn like cities in your wake,
Happy BIRTHday, HUAAHH!"

mogie222 said...

I can't do the math on how old you are, so I'll just wish you a Happy 40th Bday and stay out of arms reach. :-)

Frank Baron said...

Thanks Spidey. Your math skill are the equal of mine!

Thanks Bernita. As long as I'm reasonably healthy, I wouldn't mind having to keep a fire extinguisher handy when lighting my candles.

C'meer Ab, you rascal!!

Dawn said...

Happy birthday, Frank. Do let my hubbie know how you gave up smoking! Good on you.

ohdawno said...

A belated repeat "Happy Birthday". You'd better post the rest of the story soon! That said, the story about your mother was lovely. Thank you for sharing it.

lee said...

hi, I'm visiting from aidan's blog.Maths was never a strong point so I can't work out the age, but no doubt you'll now end up with a bigger number than you would have due to getting rid of the ciggies. Good on you :).

Frank Baron said...

Thanks Dawn. The only "magic" involved in me quitting that may help your husband is not to start until he really, REALLY wants to quit. Can't be half-assed about it. I just picked a date, psyched myself up, told a million people (actually, that might have helped too) and stuck to my guns because I didn't want to disappoint my sons.

Dawno, re-thanks. I will tell it someday semi-soonish. :)

Thanks Lee. Hope to see you again. :)

Bhaswati said...

Happy belated Birthday, Frank! Your mother sounds like a wonderful lady. Thank you for sharing her heart with us. :)

Kudos on quitting. So proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday !! and may you reach your goals :-)

Frank Baron said...

Thanks bhaswati! :)

Thanks hildegarde! :)

uniquematerial said...

Can I have your bifocals, Frank?
Since you won't need them anymore - being 30ish and all....

I saw: may you reach your goats

Anonymous said...

You have a wonderful blog. I enjoy reading.
- Michelle Knudson, Freelance Writer
www.michelleknudson.com

Frank Baron said...

Unique, would you believe, that at 56, I still don't have bifocals?

It's true!

Note I said "have" and not "need." :)

Michelle, thank you very much. I hope you become a regular visitor. :)