Wish I'd Said It

Weeds are flowers too - once you get to know them.

- A. A. Milne

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Maturity and goofing off

Growing up is doing the things you don't want to do, when you don't want to do them. Most of us walk that path at some point in our lives. Many, maybe most, walk it throughout their working life.

Some poor souls hate their jobs, their home life and points in between. But they keep the same job and return to the same home day after day, year after year. I feel badly for them. We all need to grow up - to accept and shoulder responsibilities. But if you don't like what you do; you inevitably don't like who you've become.

We need to play. There's a reason schools have recess. If we don't, we start doing stuff like drinking too much to "unwind." Or having to take Valium or Prozac or somesuch to get through the day. Or even dunking someone's pigtails in the inkwells. (I just heard a collective "Huh?" from everyone born after 1956. Crap - that's most of the world now.)

Playing is healthier. Either real physical play like sports/exercise or just being a goof now and again. Both are good for you.

The above is my explanation for why I've been goofing off and not writing much and I'm sticking to it.

2 comments:

ohdawno said...

Even in places that look like fun to work, if you dig a bit you find that all the stuff they've done was provided to keep people on site and working longer hours - the real goal is increased productivity, not stress relief, no matter what the company brochure says.

I'm a firm proponant of goofiness. Don't let that serious looking avatar I use over on AW fool you, my inner child has free rein.

Frank Baron said...

You know dawno, I suspected that behind that dignified demeanour, between those elegant sparkly ears, lurked an impish little kid.

Glad you confimed my hunch. Us writer types are into the hunch-thing. We're perceptible...um...perskeptive...ah...we have hunches!